Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Please Eat Your Vegetables

The Vegetables We Eat by Gail Gibbons, 2007

I willingly ate some vegetables as a young child like broccoli. I've always loved broccoli. Lima beans however were the worst thing my mother could put on the table. I still don't like them today. I think you should have your children try all kinds of vegetables and if they don't like some, give them the ones they like. Broccoli is actually more nutritious than Lima beans.

If you teach your children about vegetables and even plant some in your yard, they may be more willing to eat them. This book is one I'd like to add to my home collection. It explains the difference between perennials and annuals. It explains the categories that botanists group vegetables according to what people typically eat. Here are the categories of vegetables:

Leaf (lettuce, parsley)
Bulb (onions)
Flower Bud (broccoli, artichokes)
Root (beets, carrots)
Tuber (potatoes)
Stem (celery, asparagus, rhubarb)
Fruit (peppers, squash, zucchini)
Seed (beans, peas, corn)

I've seen some talk shows about getting children to eat vegetables. Some suggestions were to add cheese to broccoli, add peanut butter to celery, ranch dressing with carrots. Sure, they'd probably be healthier by themselves, but if you can't even get your children to try them, add something to make it more fun.

No comments: