Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

School Bus

I can still remember what it felt like to ride a school bus. The color of the seats, the No Smoking sign which I didn't understand because we were just little kids, the bus driver's rear view mirror, the fact that there were no seat belts, the windows that we couldn't get open and couldn't close, the emergency exit out the back, the way the bus driver could close the door without getting up, the black rubber treads on the steps...so many memories.

I'm Your Bus by Marilyn Singer, Illustrated by Evan Polenghi, 2009

This is a new, friendly, happy-go-lucky book that introduces the bus to the child. It's a reassuring story that the bus is a safe place to be. Perfect for a child who has never ridden a bus to school before.

"Watch those backpacks coming through. Have fun today. Learn something new. Later we'll come back for you. Hailey, Michael, Hannah, Russ, see you later. I'm your bus...Tomorrow you can count on us. Daytime, nighttime, I'm your bus."



The Wheels on the Bus by Raffi

There's no time like the present to bring back the song, The Wheels on the Bus. Usually taught during the toddler and preschool years, there's no reason why you can't sing this song. I find the book to be helpful because I never remember what comes next the baby, the people, the wipers? I can't keep it straight...though I guess you could make up your own version.


School Bus by Donald Crews

This would be my third choice for books about school buses. The author/illustrator won the Caldecott Honor for Freight Train(1979) and Truck (1981). The simple text explains what school buses do, and the illustrations are bright and clear.

No comments: