Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

If you ever get the chance to work with Habitat for Humanity, take it! The United Nations has declared the first Monday in October as annual World Habitat Day. I had the chance to work on
a house on a youth group mission trip in 2000. They are a non-profit Christian housing organization that builds homes for people who need a decent, safe place to live in. They rely on volunteers and donations to build these homes across the country. They have built over 300,000 homes since they were founded in 1976.

Please visit their website www.habitat.org to read more about what they do and find a local affiliate.

During my trip to West Virgina to work with Habitat for Humanity, we had the opportunity to purchase some souvenirs. I noticed they had children's picture books and of course I wanted to add one to my collection. I hoped to one day read it to my children and explain the organization to them.

Grandpa's Hammer written by Ronald Kidd

It's a picture book about a girl's grandfather who loved to build things. His wife passed on, and he stopped building things. A neighbor came by to borrow his hammer. He inquired about why, and she was with a group from Habitat for Humanity who was building a home nearby. He decided to help and continued to help every week working on several houses.

1 comment:

Jeff Kahl said...

Habitat is a great ministry. I was on a committee of theirs when I worked in New Castle.