Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Tale of Three Trees


"The Tale of Three Trees: A Traditional Folktale", Retold by Angela Elwell Hunt, Illustrations by
Tim Jonke, 1989.

This is a fairly popular book these days, but since it's one of my favorites, it has to be on my blog. I first heard this story from one of my professors at Calvin College in 1996.

This beautiful folktale is about three trees who dreamed of what they'd become when they grew up. Eventually the trees grew up and started on the paths they thought they wanted to go on and life didn't exactly turn out the way "they" intended. There were twists and turns, ups and downs, but eventually, life turned out even MORE wonderful than they had ever dreamed. It's a beautiful story with a wonderful message that reinforces this scripture verse:

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, said the LORD."

I may think I have my life planned out, but I've found more often than not, God's plan is much better than mine. I'll take his.

No comments: