Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

All of Me! A Book of Thanks



As young children are learning and discovering their bodies and all of the amazing things they can do, this book helps children affirm how special we humans are by helping them be thankful for very specific body parts. Although this is not a religious book, I think you can easily "add" your own spiritual beliefs to the book.

Here is a general excerpt from the book:
"I smile and talk and sing with my...mouth. My lips kiss Mommy and Daddy. My teeth bite crackers. My tongue licks ice cream. My mouth tastes all my food before it slides down here, into my tummy. I see with my...eyes. I see the night outside. Inside I see light and animals, a ball, a clock, a book, and big hands. Whose big hands are those?"
Here is a specific excerpt that I am going to show how you can turn it into a spiritual book:

"Thank you, my extraordinary head and all your different parts."

Well it seems odd to me to thank body parts themselves, but you could say "Thank you God for my extraordinary head and all its different parts." I think since the audience for this picture book is young enough, you can really enhance the meaning by elaborating about how we are so amazing because we have a Creator.

The illustrations are different and are actually explained in the back of the book. Molly Bang explains the materials she used such as cloth, paint, crayons and paper bags and suggests that the reader could create something similar.

All in all, I like the book enough to recommend it. I really do think you could read it "as is" or add your own spiritual beliefs while reading it and discussing it with a child.

1 comment:

Jeff Kahl said...

"I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." - Psalm 139:14