Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Standing on My Own Two Feet

Standing on My Own Two Feet: A Child's Affirmation of Love in the Midst of Divorce by Tamara Schmitz, 2008.

As a child of divorced parents, I can say that this picture book is WONDERFUL.

First off, there is an introductory page which says:

Mom and Dad love   ____________ (name)
unconditionally. (No matter what!)

Addison is a young boy who's parents are divorced and have two different homes.

"Just like I have two feet...I have two homes. I am safe at home with my mom. I am safe at home with my dad. Sometimes I miss the one I'm not with. I thank my lucky stars for the phone. Even when we are apart, we can look out our windows...and enjoy the same moon. Mom and Dad do not always get along. But it's not because of me. Mom and Dad live in different homes. But it's not because of me. Even thought I wish we could live together again, that probably won't happen. It's not up to me. No matter what happens, they'll ALWAYS be my mom and dad! My mom loves me. My dad loves me. I am loved, and this makes me strong! Lots of things change. But the one thing that will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever change...is that my mom and dad love me! From the tippy-top of my head...down to my toes."

Divorce is not something that children understand. It is unnatural for a child to figure out how one day they have a Dad and Mom who love each other and another day when Dad and Mom do not seem to love each other anymore. Children get very confused, especially when they hear fighting or hear negative comments about one parent from the other. Children need every bit of reassurance and affirmation of love from both parents throughout their entire childhood.

No comments: