Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cookies: Bite-Size Lessons

"Cookies: Bite-Size Lessons" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

This unique picture book uses cookies to help explain basic manners and personality traits to children.

"RESPECT means offering the very first cookie to your grandmother.

TRUSTWORTHY means, 'If you ask me to hold your cookie until you come back, when you come back, I will still be holding your cookie.'"

My personal favorites are: "PESSIMISTIC means 'How awful, how absolutely dreadful-I have only half my cookie left.'"; and "ENVY means, 'I can't stop looking at your cookie out of the corner of my eye--it looks so much better than my cookie. Boy, I wish it were mine and not yours.'"

LOL! I think I could have really benefited from reading this book as a child!

The other terms in the book are: Patient, Cooperate, Proud, Modest, Fair, Unfair, Compassionate, Greedy, Generous, Optimistic, Polite, Honest, Courageous, Loyal, Open-Minded, Regret, Content and Wise.

Sometimes choose books like this one to read with your children. There are so many great picture books that can open the door of communication with your child at bedtime or a quiet time during a snow day or weekend. You can teach them about what you really value in life and what you want them to value too.

No comments: