Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Goodnight Moon

"Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown is a beloved, classic picture book that has been around for over 60 years.

I was always fond of this book, and then I had a child. This book became one of my child's favorite books. My husband and I have read this book probably close to a hundred times by now. He and I both are not only fond of the book, but now it has become part of our some of our permanent memories of early learning with our firstborn. It holds a much deeper meaning.

In addition to reading this book, my husband found a YouTube video of one of his favorite composer's Eric Whitacre who put this book to music. His wife sings the words so very soothingly. My husband watches this and listens to it with our son, and they just melt together in the chair listening so intently.

We also found a link to an animated version of this storybook on YouTube. The voice telling the story is Susan Sarandon, and it is perfect for this story. The combination of music and Sarandon's voice is mesmerizing and reminds me of the magic of stories and movies I watched as a young child. You really should watch this if you are a fan of the book. The music and words will take you back to your child-like way of thinking and looking at life. Perhaps you'll get a taste of a time when the world seemed much simpler and smaller.

No comments: