Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Island of the Blue Dolphins

"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell is a Newberry Award Winning Book from 1961.

This is one of my favorite books because the main character Karana is a strong, resourceful, and hopeful female based on a real life woman named Juana Maria. She captivated me from beginning to end, and then I had to research more information about the real Juana Maria.

Karana becomes stranded on an island for eighteen years all alone!

A book that many boys enjoy called Hatchet by Gary Paulson is a similar heroic survival story about a young boy who survives a plane crash and has to wait to be rescued. He too uses his resourcefulness, strength and hope to survive. 

Both Island of the Blue Dolphins and Hatchet could be enjoyed by both girls and boys because they are suspenseful and intriguing. An important note to mention though is that Hatchet is at a higher reading level (Grade 5-8) where Island of the Blue Dolphins is more Grade 3-6. So use caution if your child is on the younger end. Certainly anyone older than Grade 3-6 would still love reading Island of the Blue Dolphins. I enjoy it, and I am in my thirties!


No comments: