Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Turtle and Snake's Spooky Halloween

"Turtle and Snake's Spooky Halloween" by Kate Spohn

This beginning reader book is not only a great reader but also another great Halloween picture book for children. Friends Turtle and Snake plan a Halloween party. They make a list and check things off of the list as they finish each item. As a list-maker myself, I love this aspect of the book because it helps the reader understand planning, organization, and time. 

"First they invite their friends. "What's next?" asks Snake. "Pumpkins," says Turtle. So Turtle and Snake pick pumpkins...and make jack-o'-lanterns." "What's next?" asks Turtle. "We need to decorate," says Snake. So Turtle and Snake decorate Turtle's house."

The illustrations in this book add so much more detail to this story. There is a written To Do list that appears each time an item is checked off the list. Although the language is basic because it's a beginning reader, the illustrations elaborate on what kinds of decorations are used and what kinds of games are chosen for example. 

Lastly, there's nothing scary and spooky about this Halloween book either which I really appreciate. This has become one of my new favorite Halloween books! I found my copy my local library's book sale!

No comments: